Thursday, October 4, 2012

Our First Trip to the ER

Well, we have made it two years and 3 months....it was bound to happen!!  First of all, let me say that Weeze is okay, a little worse for wear, but okay! :)  I got a call around 3:40 yesterday afternoon from Eloise's teacher, Miss Amy, saying that Eloise had fallen and hit her head, and they think she may need stitches. (Insert noise from Christmas Vacation here..) She tripped on a rug in the classroom and fell on the back door that had a little metal ledge on the bottom.  She managed to hit that ledge in just the right spot and it sliced her little forehead. :(

So, I ran to her classroom, calling Eric on the way, because those of you who know me, KNOW that I DON'T DO BLOOD!!  When I got there, I saw my bubbly little Weeze, sitting on Miss Annette's lap on the rocking chair, and Miss Annette was holding a paper towel to her head. I chose not to see the wound, but I have a wonderful friend Trinace who took a look at it to let me know how bad the cut was so I wouldn't have to faint in front of Eloise's whole class.  After a little wait for Eric to get to school, we climbed in the car, Weeze and Daddy in the back, mommy in the front, and Auntie Trinace driving (because I just about passed out once I got into the car).

We got to T.C. Thompson Children's Hospital shortly after 4:00 and got in to see the doctor right away.  The doctor told us that they would have to put stitches in because the wound was fairly deep, so we waited for the nurses to put on this snazzy gel-like numbing cream on her wound, slap a band-aid over it and let it work its magic.

Weeze and Daddy

Playing with toys while we waited.  We had a little tea party! :) 

It only took about 20 minutes for the cream to work, and the doctor came in with "Child Life Specialist" who played the iPad for Weeze while they cleaned her cut and stitched her up.  Eric was the brave parent (I sat in the chair behind him) and held her while they took care of her.  She was a CHAMP!  She was so brave.  She cried a little bit, but the Child Life Specialist and Eric were able to soothe her quickly.  On the lighter note, when they asked her if she wanted a red, purple, or orange popsicle, her response was, "I want BOTH!" So she walked out of the ER with a purple popsicle in one hand and an orange one in the other...

All stitched up!

She had a hard time sleeping last night, but slept in this morning and stayed home with Eric today.  They had a great day of bonding before Eric heads off to Australia tomorrow afternoon.  By the time I got home from work, she was back to her old self, happy and ornery as can be!  Gotta love her! 



1 comment:

  1. Ohh no! Poor baby! Brady made it to 3 years 7 months before his first stitches. It's amazing how they bounce back. I'm glad you didn't actually pass out :)

    ReplyDelete